The New Zealand Rugby League has announced the draw for the inaugural NZRL National 20s competition.
The season is set to kick off on Saturday February 27, with the six teams competing over five weeks.
After each team has played each other once, the two top placed teams will meet in the final on April 2.
The six teams participating in the first National 20s season are:
- Auckland Blue and Auckland White – representing the Auckland Rugby League; Akarana and Counties Manukau
- Central Districts – including Manawatu, Taranaki, Hawkes Bay and Wellington
- Northland – representing the Northland region
- South Island – including Tasman, Canterbury, West Coast, Aoraki, Southland and Otago Districts, and,
- Wai-Coa Bay – representing Waikato, Hauraki, Bay of Plenty, Gisborne and Coastline District
Along with the National 20s announcement, the NZRL also revealed that the National Youth Tournament will move to an under-16 and under-18 format (as opposed to under-15 and under-17), to better align itself with Australia’s New South Wales and Queensland competitions. In 2022, a NZRL under-19 team will also be entered into the NSW SG Ball Cup competition.